The Olympic Torch visits Huntingdon
By LongBaker | Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 19:45
London 2012 has found 8,000 truly inspirational people from across the UK to carry the Olympic Flame. Details of torchbearers carrying the flame through Huntingdonshire can be found on the London 2012 website using the link on the right.
Olympic Rings (Photo by Kenski1970)
The Olympic Torch Relay is due to pass through St Ives and Huntingdon on 8 July 2012.
The Torch will arrive in St Ives at 7.54am where it will run through the town via Cromwell Place, Market Road, Market Hill/The Pavement, Crown Street/Merryland, The Broadway, The Waits, Ramsey Road and onto Houghton Road.
It will then travel on to Huntingdon and start its journey at 8.19am through the town via Main Street, Desborough Road, Mayfield Road, Hartford Road, Riverside Road, High Street, George Street and then finally onto Brampton Road.
There will be plenty of events taking place around the Torch Relay:
For St Ives
- From 7am-7.45am breakfast rolls available at the Corn Exchange, continuing after the Torch passes through from 8am onwards
- 7.54am – 8.16am Olympic Torch Relay passes through town
- 8.45am - 9.15am Big Bike Ride – majority of cyclists pass through town centre on the Big Bike Ride, to have cards stamped in Sheepmarket
- 9.15am Procession of Sports - participants to assemble in Priory Road
- 9.30am – 9.50am Procession of Sports through town and ending at Slepe Hall field
- 10am – 12 noon Slepe Hall Silly Sports event
- 300 cyclists passing through the town in 200km charity cycle ride – refreshments provided by local churches, with assistance from the WI, Tai Chi and Scout groups. (First cyclist set to arrive in the Market Square at 10.30am, the last to arrive at 1.30pm)
- BRJ Road Runners charity 'Fun Run' around the town centre – starting at 9am, route still to be confirmed (1 mile)
- Samuel Pepys opens at 7am for breakfast
- 'Celebratory Breakfast' at The Methodist Church (from 8am to 9.30am) followed by an act of worship 'Carry the Flame' at 6.40pm)
- RAF Band – 30 man brass band performing throughout the day at St Benedicts Court
- Bouncy Castle
- Rug Cutters Lindihop Group – Freestyle Dance Show
- Morris Dancing performance with Hungarian dance group
- Zumba Fitness Dance Performances
- Tai Chi demonstrations
- Ice Cream Stall
- Hot Food Stall
- Face Painting Stall
- Olympic style games and outdoor activities (mini basketball, target golf, mini tennis and mini squash)
- Girl Guides stall – jewellery making and cake stall
For parking information on the day click on the map link on the right.
For details of events taking place as the Torch Relay passes through Peterborough and Cambridgeshire, visit the Peterborough City Council and Cambridgeshire County Council websites using the links on the right.