Electrical Fire in Huntingdon House
By MoonRambler | Friday, September 21, 2012, 18:07
Two fire crews were called to a incident on Mayfield Crescent in Huntingdon at 12.55pm on Thursday September 20. The occupant was at work but a neighbour saw smoke from an upstairs window and called 999.
Fire engines were called to a house in Huntingdon
Firefighters arrived to find the upstairs of the house filled with smoke. They used a hose reel to extinguish a fire caused by an overloaded electrical multi-socket adapter in a bedroom. The fire was under control by around 2pm.
The bedroom was severely fire damaged and the upstairs of the house was smoke damaged.
Eddie Theaker, Watch Commander at Huntingdon said: "The fire was caused by an overloaded plug socket and if it wasn't for the commendable actions of the neighbour the damage could have been a lot worse.
"The best practice with plug sockets is one appliance, one socket, and you should certainly never overload a socket by using several adapters or too many high powered appliances.
"Next week is Electrical Fire Safety Week and this incident should be a reminder to everyone to think about how safe their electrical sockets and appliances are."